When moving into your dream home, it can be easy to get caught up in the midst of the excitement and overlook some of the most important things to remember. Using simple, organised checklists will ensure you are staying on schedule and are fully prepared for the move.
Click on the icons below to reveal different checklists for the weeks leading up to moving day, and enjoy the satisfaction of ticking off each and every job once it’s completed!
4-6 weeks before the move
- Find a reliable removals company. Compare quotes from three different companies to find the best deal, making sure you request a breakdown of costs.
- Confirm the moving date with all interested parties. This includes your estate agent, solicitor and mortgage company, and inform your landlord of this date if you are renting.
- Calculate the storage amount. If you are putting some of your items into storage, you must find a reputable company who can calculate how much storage space you require.
- Check your insurance policy to ensure your belongings are covered should anything become damaged or broken during the move.
- Organise the school transfer for your children and order their new uniform.
- Inform relevant organisations of your new address. For a full list see our Who To Inform page
- Arrange to have utility services connected at your new home so everything is up and running by the time you move in.
- Organise your belongings into bundles of items you want to keep donate to charity, throw away or sell.
- Buy packing supplies if you plan on packing your items yourself including boxes, cartons, bubble wrap, wrapping paper and tape.
- If possible, take measurements at your new home to check that your furniture will fit.
Two weeks before moving day
- Pack your belongings into sturdy, clearly labelled boxes, starting with your non-essential items first.
- Arrange child care/pet care for moving day.
- Collect any prescriptions you will need for the next few weeks.
- De-register from your current doctor, dentist and optician and register for these in your new area.
- Confirm moving times with your removal company and provide them with directions to your old and new addresses.
One week before moving day
- Request final bills from your telephone and broadband providers.
- Defrost the freezer.
- Cancel milk deliveries and magazine/newspaper subscriptions.
- Devise a floor plan to decide on the furniture layout in your new home.
Day before moving day
- Pack a survival kit of items needed on moving daysuch as phone charger, cleaning products and refreshments.
- Keep all keys and important documents in the same folder. This includes passports, moving papers, driving licences and birth certificates.
- Ensure cat's are inside the property. This will avoid unwanted absence on move day.(The same applies to Lama's ... Don't ask!)
- Carry out a final inspection of your old houseto check that all appliances have been switched off and nothing has been forgotten.
- Take final meter readings at your old and new homes. This includes water, gas and electricity.